• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Partying and Working Out

EXRoller

Bluelighter
I am seeking some advice/input regarding how detrimental it is to smoke (weed and cigarettes) and drink following a workout, and how long I should wait before engaging in any of these activities.

After I do work out (about 3 times a week), I usually fix a good meal and make a point not to drink that night. I'm not a serious body builder trying to get super-ripped, but just want to get more toned and add more muscle definition. Whatever advice anyone can give would be appreciated, thanks.

i think it depends on your goals. people who are really serious about body-building tend to avoid alcohol altogether, and i can't imagine smoking a cigarette after a long run. but most people fall somewhere in between, and one of the benefits of exercising is that you can stay healthy and active despite some recreational substance use. my best recommendation would be to try a few workouts without anything afterwards, and note how you feel in the mornings and during your next workout. then start merging your drinking/smoking with working out, and again gauge how you feel the next morning and during your next workout. then you can kind of find your sweet-spot between enjoying yourself and getting your body to perform the way you want it to.

Well if your a perfectionist like me, you will never get the perfect body but I think I have gotten over that. Are you trying to get just big, or do you want to be really cut too?

Ill tell you right now, alcohol will make your road very difficult, especially if your drinking beer and have a tolerance or drinking mixers with regular pop (1500+ extra empty calories). If you drink once or twice a week you will be able to make slow progress.

I am a pothead, but if you want to get real big, this can be a benefit. I tend to munch on a bunch of healthy foods (too many calories if your trying to get real cut) but if your just looking to get big and dont care about definition as much, this can be good. But only if you eat healthy. Lots of protein, some fat, and not carb loaded food.

Well fuck, I just read your "super-ripped" ripped part wrong lol... Forget all of what I just said. Since you dont care about tone, your goal is possible. I would try to work out at least 5 days a week (dunno what your routine is but I try to do around 16 sets per muscle).

If you lift with good form and consistently, you will make progress. I suggest whey and creatine as they are cheap. They will help you out a lot, not rape your wallet, and still some what effective (alcohol affects the synthesis of protein I think). I am in college and am going threw the same thing you are. You just have to find your happy medium of partying and lifting (I try to get all my shit done before I get high or anything otherwise it probably wont happen).

Sorry if this post is a little jumbled. I can elaborate or clarify things if need be.

You will add definition, tone and weight if you keep at it.

BodyBuilders tend to go apeshit over anything that might effect growth. Frankly, at this point I love to work out, but I'm not ready to stop drinking.

If you are trying to lose weight, then the alcohol becomes more problematic.

I smoke, drink occasionally (and in moderation), pop pills every once in while and it hasn't effected my progress noticeably just keep the partying to once in a while and the don't have more than 2 or 3 drinks at a time you should be good as long as you keep working out.

You can drink and train without terrible consequence as long as you dont get shit faced on a regular occasion. More important will be your calorie and protein intake along with getting good sleep.

I would say that if you must drink or do drugs that one must supplement with things that protect the cells. Alpha lipoic acid (na-ala)... Acetyl-l-carnitine...NADH...cellfood...green super-foods, fruits and vegetables and lots of spring water....

and don't forget the secret ingredient ....the glue that holds it all together which is...

Self-Love- love your body as much as possible and it will love you back with a physique that mirrors Greatness.

Visualize the way you want you body to look...look in the mirror and already see your body the way you want it to look like...

trust me it works...=D

Im a bodybuilder, although i dont compete, I take it pretty seriously. Im natural atm and I have got into fairly good shape even though i drink most nights. Im 5'6" and weigh 186lbs with b/f @ 9%. The trick is to count the cals from the alcohol, keep protien at least 1g/ lbm and eat around your workouts. Id say my progress is slower than it could have been, but you still need a life! =D

I smoke, drink occasionally (and in moderation), pop pills every once in while and it hasn't effected my progress noticeably just keep the partying to once in a while and the don't have more than 2 or 3 drinks at a time you should be good as long as you keep working out.

I dont know how you party but 2-3 drinks is just unneeded calories. Its not gonna do anything drunk wise, and you just had a couple hundred extra calories for no reason. Thats just my opinion...

I was making some nice progress this week, but now Im in the mood to drink again. You just have to find that happy median...

im quite a heavy drinker (mainly lager) and have had not much problem in getting quite ripped. as for smoking, i only smoke on weekends. just put the effort in and eat heathily

I used to smoke, drink etc. while trying to put on muscle and tbh the best thing I have ever done for my body composition etc. is quit smoking and drinking.... I still do other drugs occasionally but smoking and drinking are very detrimental to getting a good body... anyone who says they arent are in denial lol.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I'm by no means a big guy (5'7" 140), but on the same token losing weight isn't really an issue. I can only stand to drink about one night a week now (the hangovers are getting a lot worse as I get older), and usually just beer - vodka makes me feel like death the next day now. I smoke about a half a pack a day. Yes it's bad for me but I have a lot of stress in my life, and if it gives me cancer when I'm 80 I don't care, who the hell wants to be 90 anyway? I don't smoke a whole lot of weed anymore, trying to stay clean with being on probation. I still love me a good roll, but those are few and far between these days. I don't have a vehicle now, so I walk an average 2-3 miles a day... don't really have the lungs for running. I can tell I've made progress and gotten a little thicker from a year ago. Again, I'm not trying to be super huge, just mainly have more muscle definition and be less blobby around the mid-section. But thanks for everything, don't be afraid to keep the suggestions coming.